Scaling and Root Planing
- Scaling and root planing is often referred to as “deep cleaning.”
- We recommend deep cleaning whenever gum disease involves the bone surrounding the teeth (periodontal disease).
- To ensure adequate cleaning, we typically apply a numbing agent to the affected area, and complete the process over a couple of appointments.
- In more severe cases of periodontal disease, we may refer you to a trusted periodontist and work closely with him or her to maintain your optimal oral health.
- After scaling and root planing, it may be necessary to require more frequent cleanings until periodontal disease activity is better controlled.
- At these cleaning appointments, we recheck the supporting structures of your teeth to monitor the status of your periodontal condition.